Sunday, December 20, 2009

Bases for an Empire

I chose Empire because I wanted to field a bunch of goofy looking peasants. My battalion arrived on Thursday, a full two weeks after the first skinks stole onto the scene and I cracked it open today for the first time — only to be reminded that I had not settled on a way to base them. I flip-flopped on standard dirt-and-grass versus cobblestone (some part of me wants to keep the bases the same across all models and the idea of horses on cobblestone is silly to me) and finally settled on the latter.

To create the stones, I used a pair of scissors to cut small, irregularly shaped circles out of a cereal box (Total, if you must know) and glued them onto the 20mm base. The cracks are filled with standard Citadel flocking sand. I was a little worried about the bond between the base and the compressed cardboard, and the cardboard and the model, but it seemed sturdy even before a coat of primer.





1 comment:

  1. I'm going to steal this idea when (if?) I get around to my Cygnar models.

    Also: I got Space Hulk for xmas. Thought I would never have the urge to paint a model in tactical dreadnaught armour again, but they're so choice - it would be shameful to leave them as bare plastics.

    ReplyDelete